Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 4 of 12 Days of Distressing - Cardboard

Day 4 Corrugated Cardboard - Corrugated cardboard can be a real pain if it doesn't want to cooperate. I have seen ladies have this full sheet of 12x12 cardboard sheet and have so many issues with it they just throw it out and vow never to use it again. Ok I have a few tips to help simplify using cardboard. This first layout has a full sheet of cardboard for the background. Now the most frustrating part is peeling that top layer off your cardboard. The easiest way that I have found to do this is by spraying water all over the side you want to peel, but don't saturate it, just spray it so it soaks into that top layer. Let it soak in and then peel away. Try to peel it first because once in a while I get this awesome piece that peels really easily, but most of the time I use water. Now you can either leave it raw or use a number of things to decorate it. I used pink acrylic paint on this layout and I didn't apply it evenly, but painted heavier in some areas and kept some of the raw cardboard exposed. This layout I wanted to jazz up my cardboard even more. I used crackle paint and some purple stickles. I would spread it over unevenly and don't worry about getting every spot. Do the crackle first and let it dry, then use some stickles and rub it around all over. Crackle paint is my favorite thing to use on cardboard because you get this really neat vintage look.

This layout is currently out for publication!

The nice thing about corrugated cardboard is you can get it for free on any box that gets delivered to your house or where ever. You can try doing different things to it without throwing away too much money. You can tear it, ink it, paint it, color it and the list goes on. Just have fun with it. I have noticed some ladies using it in their title work and it makes really cute letters. I haven't tried this yet, but I am wanting too. Feel free to ask questions by leaving them in my comment section and I will answer you there as well.

2 comments:

  1. Mandy, these are all awesome tutorials, very cool of you to do this on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of using cardboard and I alot of boxes in the basement. free stuff!!! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails